Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Matching Kid Quilts

I made this quilt and the one below for the children of one of the young ladies who worked for me at the preschool. This one was so much fun to do! I always keep a full stash of fun and bright kid fabric because kid's quilts are my favorite style to design and create!

This is actually one of my own designs. The blocks each have a construction vehicle inside, and I did a "Wako Log Cabin" to frame them out, which worked nicely because each different car was a different sized block, so standard log cabin wouldn't have left me with equally sized blocks. From start to finish, this one took me about a week after work of course:)!

This next quilt was done for his sister. Their mom wanted two quilts that matched, but still reflected the differences in their personalities. Kenzie is a true-blue princess, so when I found the ballerina and princess fabric, I knew it was perfect.

This quilt was actually a little more difficult that the one above, because I had to fussy cut the little ladies at an angle, and I couldn't find a border fabric to frame them in that I liked...so I had to make one (the pink and green pieces were sewn to the purple stripe as a block, then cut in half to form the triangles that framed the ladies).

My inspiration for the blocks in this one came from the 2005 issue of Quilt It for Kids magazine...a must have if you love to make kids quilts!

Both quilts were machine pieced and machine free-motion quilted. I quilted some cars around Aidan's and hearts and flowers around Kenzie's quilt.

By the way, if you are ever in the market for a great book on how to free motion quilt, I would highly recommend Show Me How to Machine Quilt by Kathy Sandbach. She gives some excellent pointers, but the best resource is hidden in the back, she gives TONS of patterns for free motion quilting.

No comments: