Friday, July 07, 2006

An Alabaster Flask


I finally got this print framed, and I wanted to share it because it is easily one of the most beautiful pieces of art I own.
It was done by a local artist, Vicki Sides, and is a pencil rendering of the woman anointing Christ's feet with the precious perfume depicted in Luke 7.

V37: And behold, a woman of the town who was an especially wicked sinner, when she learned that He was reclining at table in the Pharisee's house, she brought an alabaster flask of ointment (perfume).

V38: And standing behind Him at His feet weeping, she began to wet His feet with [her] tears; and she wiped them with the hair on her head and kissed His feet [affectionately] and anointed them with the ointment (perfume).

V39: Now when the Pharisee who had invited Him saw it, he said to himself, If this Man were a prophet, He would surely know who and what sort of woman this is who it touching Him - for she is a notorious sinner (a social outcast, devoted to sin).

V40: An Jesus, replying, said to him, Simon, I have something to say to you. And he answered, Teacher, say it.

V41: A certain lender of money [at interest] had two debtors: one owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty.

V42: When they had no means of paying, he freely forgave them both. Now which of them will love him more?

V43: Simon answered, The one, I take it, for whom he forgave and cancelled more. And Jesus said to him, You have decided correctly.

V44: Then turning toward the woman, He said to Simon, Do you see this woman? When I came into your house, you gave Me no water for My feet, but she has wet My feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair.

V45: You gave me no kiss, but she from the moment I came in has not ceased to kiss My feet tenderly and caressingly.

V46: You did not anoint My head with [cheap, ordinary] oil, but she has anointed My feet with [costly, rare] perfume.

V47: Therefore I tell you, her sins, many [as they are], are forgiven her - because she has loved much. But he who is forgiven little loves little.

V48: And He said to her, Your sins are forgiven!

Lord, let my heart be always as this woman's heart. I Thank You for allowing a sinner, such as myself, the honor of sitting at Your feet and loving You. I pray that my life be a sacrifice to You, sanctified by Your blood, and pleasing in Your sight. Thank You for the privilege of serving You and calling You my Lord.

4 comments:

Mrs Blythe said...

Hi, this is just beautiful. We recently found out on a program about ancient Egypt how precious alabaster was. I hadn't realised that not only was the perfume precious but the alabaster was - and she broke the jar! I just want to give my all to the Lord, however much it costs! Even though this scares me just a little (tut, the flesh, what a hinderance it is!)...Blessings

BTW I'm not sure if I have commented here before - my name is Sarah, I'm a Christian from the UK.

Mrs. Mandy said...

Sarah,
I love how her sacrifice represented the fact that it was ALL she had, and she gave it so selflessly. What an example.
But you know, when you give it up, isn't it amazing how God can reward you with so much more. He is such a loving Father! Thanks so much for visiting, Sarah! I will count you among my friends in my prayers!
By the way, your avatar is beautiful! What is it?

Jamie said...

Thanks for the quilt it looks fantastic. I love it!! God is faithful with his word and is able to supply all of our needs. We simply have to let go of our own agenda and allow him to "Do things his way". That always seems to be the most difficult of actions for myself.

Thomas said...

Nice to see my friend Vicki's art out there on the net. If any of you want this print (or anything else she has done), you can get it here:

http://www.liberatingpublications.net/index.cfm?Page=4

Vicki is someone who is definitely worth getting to know. My life is richer and fuller because of her.