Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Garden Tour 2007

Here we are, just returned from Garden Tour 2007. This is a pic of myself, my momma, and my sissy.
Garden tour is normally a tradition that my mom enjoys with two of her close girlfriends, but this year since sissy was in town we went together. We spent about 4 hours walking through 3 historic homes in our city and touring a total of 4 amazing gardens.
I had hopes that my gal pal K. would go with us, but she wasn't able to and left me with instructions to TAKE PICTURES! :) Needless to say I was very disappointed when I learned that the tour does not allow cameras to photograph the inside of the homes, but they did allow cameras in the gardens. It was a lovely day, and we had a wonderful time.

The garden club placed fresh flower arrangements inside each of the homes. They covered almost every available surface, and included flowers found in gardens at that time. Lilac, azalea, alyssum, candy tuft, tulips, and even honeysuckle were just a few of the flowers included. I have to say that as much as I enjoyed the homes with their antique furniture, fine art, and collections from around the world, still the gardens were my favorite. I wanted to share a few of my favorites..

I loved this small sitting area that was beside the last home we toured. The centerpiece is an old VA mill grindstone with a statue in the center. It is surrounded by purple pansies, candy tuft, and other various shades of blue and purple. The tulips along the borders were not ready to come up yet, but I am sure when they do it will be lovely. The homeowner also had cobalt blue pottery around the side area of the yard with coordinated flowers inside. The effect was peaceful and serene, and this wasn't even the main garden!

This is one of my new favorite flowers. It is called a parrot tulip, and comes in a variety of colors. Many of the indoor arrangments included these fluffy looking fellas, and I may have to brave back into the world of bulbs to aquire a few for my own garden!

This Japenese maple tree marks the top of a custom made water feature that was designed and commissioned by the owners of the third stop on the tour. The man made creek bed was filled with pebbles, no black pastic here, and began at the far right of the yard, running the length of the home over varying levels with several curves and ending in a lovely Koi pond next to a small sitting area. The sound was amazing, and we were very surprised to learn that the entire thing was only 2 years old!



Because this homeowner did not open their home to the tour, the garden club made these whimsical topiary fish to "swim" along the edge of the waterfeature. At first glance, they just seem to be droopy and bulky flower arrangements, but very quickly your mind adjusts and you realize that it is, indeed, a Koi! How cool is that!?!

I have loaded all of my garden pics to flikr, and you can click on the flikrbadge on the right to see them all if you wish.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pictures from the garden are beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing. I frequent The Sparrow's Nest and will be adding This Little Light to my favorites. Thanks again, Tasha

C.A. Worcester said...

I too am a fan of Mrs. Wilt and jumped over here for a peek at your beautiful pictures! I love the 1st one (it's my favorite)....Virginia is a beautiful state. We lived in Washington D.C. for 3 years and went on many field trips down south in Va. Orange was one of the most pretty places we ventured to.

You are so blessed to live in such a pretty place. Have a wonderful day!

Rebecca said...

Well-Mrs. Wilt was right. These ARE beautiful photographs-thanks to a skilled photographer!!

I love quilting, crafts, gardening AND photography too...so it seems we have a bit in common!

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit! Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. Mandy,
I love the pictures from your "Garden Walk"!! It's so nice when you can spend time with your mom and sister and do something you can all enjoy!! I'm so glad you all had an enjoyable time! I too, loved the koi fish at the end of your garden tour.
Does DD have any interest in plants and flowers? Our youngest two children, Bryon (10) and Brittany (9) love to help out in our vegetable and flower garden. They've really learned alot about plants. They know about perennials and annuals. They also know the names of many plants and can identify them in other peoples yards. One of the activities that we've done with our children when they were about DD's age was give them their own section in our flower garden and let them plant their own sunflower seeds. We always bought the jumbo type. Then they watered them and took care of them themselves. It was so neat to watch them grow and finally bloom. The sunflower always ends up being taller than them!! At the end of the season, they save the seeds from their flower and we plant them the following year. As they've gotten older, they've also had the opportunity to plant their own bulbs and several other small plants. It's been a fun learning experience for them.
In answer to your question. No, I don't have my own blog. I've thought about it, but haven't gone any further than "thinking" about it! I'm also not really that computer savy.
I'm still really excited about your new job opportunity!! I'm so happy that you can still work and only have to spend one day at the office!! See, God really does hear our prayers and answers them!! He knew just what you and your family needed and provided the "perfect" job for you in His timing.
Well, once again, I've taken alot of your comment space. So, I better quit for now. So, it's back to decluttering for me!!
Take care and have a great week-end with your family! :o)
Janet

Janet said...

P.S.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong..but, I wrote my last comment in paragraph form and it came up without being in paragraph form. I also didn't write anonymous and it came up that way.
See, what I mean about not being computer savy!! :o)
Janet

Mrs. Mandy said...

Tasha and CA, I am so glad that you enjoyed the tour pics and thanks for your sweet comments.

Rebecca, I will have to stop by and see you soon ;)

Janet,
When I read your comment about the sunflowers I bout giggled outta my chair! Guess what is currently growing in starter pots on my front porch....sunflowers! DD and I planted some seeds about 2 weeks ago and they have really started to take off! When I put them in the ground I will have to post some pics for you....great minds think alike!
Hang in there with the decluttering, I am right there with ya!
Blessings to all...M.