Friday, July 06, 2007

a busy busy gal

well, now i can add one more thing to my yeah, i can do that list. on thursday the 5th i passed my cdl exam, allowing me to drive our preschool's new activity bus! i did quite a bit of training, especially for the pre-trip inspection...yes, i now know what a slack adjuster is, where it is located, and how to tell if it is broken...wild huh?
i am really happy that i passed, 'cause my kids have been waiting. needless to say that studying and preparing for this has taken up a lot of my time over the past week or so, hence the lack of blogging.....
something else that has occupied a great deal of my time these last two weeks....
YIPPEE! Daddy, Who Hung the Moon? has left his spot on my design wall and is awaiting transport to a very special little guy! dh was kind enough to hold it up outside for the photo...what a dear! i have to admit that the checkerboard border went a little wonky, and i wanted to set the entire thing on fire as laughing and crying i fought to ease and adjust it as i attached it to the quilt....but alas my pyromania ebbed, i regained my sanity, and decided that perfection wasn't required. and ya know, the end result is ok. once it was quilted, the puffiness of the boarder vanished quite nicely, so i can live with it...not to mention, the little guy will not care:)

ya know, i am quickly discovering that quilting is my favorite part of pretty much any project. i had so much fun free-motion quilting the sky space around the upper two stars and the moon. seriously, after reading teach me how to machine quilt, i haven't been the same...i free motion everything! for this, i combined some curlies, waves, and stars to fill in the space. it is so much fun to let go and just.....go....
another cool thing unique to this project ~ i free-motion quilted the moon with glow-in-the-dark-thread. super cool when the lights go out...its a night light, its a quilt, its a night light, its a quilt....

i did reign myself in and quilted the stars in the ditch with a single line of echo quilting inside each one, but not to be too terribly normal i used multi-tonal yellow thread.
i love the way it crinkles after washing, yummy. i only machine quilt my quilts for little ones so they will stand up to multiple (and thorough) washings.

as if that wasn't enough to occupy my time and keep me from my blogging space, i also got a long-awaited goodie in the mail on tuesday...
...can't wait to play!

2 comments:

Janet said...

Dear Mrs. Mandy,

CONGRATS on passing your CDL Exam!!! :o) I'm sure your pre-school kids will get to go on some neat field trips!!!

You sure have been busy!! Your quilt turned out BEAUTIFUL!! I love the creative things that you added to complete it!! I didn't even know they made "glow in the dark thread". HOW COOL!! The special little guy that is receiving this quilt is SO LUCKY!!

Are you having fun playing your new game??

By the way, how is your new job, (position) at church going? I've been praying that it's been an easy transition and that you'll be enjoying spending extra time at home with your hubby and DD. (Just wanted you to know that I've been praying for you.)

Take care and have a GREAT WEEK!

Blessings,
Janet

Mrs. Mandy said...

yup! i am having fun playing with my EQ and designing some new quilts. i hope to use get comfortable enough to design and make one of my own design soon!

thanks so much for the prayers, this continues to be a great stretching experience for me. i am learning a lot, some by accomplishments and some by mistakes, but God is so very faithful. your prayers mean so much.....