Thursday, August 30, 2007

stash busting continues...

well, i am definitely making progress on busting my stash. i have been tackling it little by little (15 mins at a time, right K?;0)!) slowly i am uncovering a virtual treasure trove of fabric that i didn't know i had. you read about the hidden fabric phenomenon but don't realize the impact of the sneaky stash until it is revealed after hours of folding.....i see those fat quarters in my sleep...ha, ha, zzzzzzz...............

the good news is that things are going very well!
what you are seeing is my fabric hidey-hole in my sewing room closet. very cheap shelves from wally world (about $8). the blue bin represents my former, very poorly executed, fabric organizational system that is now being fazed out. it really consisted of me throwing my fabric in the bin, only to forget later that it existed. huh, wonder if that would work with all the junk food in my kitchen? honey, why are there twinkies in my snow boots? but just look at those neat fabric folds! thanks to the wonderful book creating your perfect quilting space i now have tweaked the perfect fabric folding system for me!
to get neat and even yardage folds (anything over 1 yd.), i begin by folding the fabric selvage to selvage. then, i place an 8.5" X 24" ruler across the width and being wrapping the fabric around the ruler (so i will have a fold on one end of the ruler and the selvages at the other)
after rolling the entire yardage (i usually seem to end up with a partial fold at the end to tuck in the wonky cut edge), i pull the ruler out half way and fold the entire roll in half. the result is a neat and even block of fabric about 9"x 11".
no matter how long your yardage is, the piles will stack nicely.....ah......lovely.

oh yeah, i almost forgot....on the top of my selves you see my newest joy......

i have been looking high and low for an inexpensive and easy way to organize my works in progress. well, i have priced boxes and bags, none of which allowed me to stack neatly, nor see what was inside. low and behold, today at our local lowe's store i found just what i was looking for in the closet shelving area......

how cool are these guys! there were only about $9 each, and i brought home 4. this way, i can make myself empty a box...er, finish a quilt....before i am allowed to begin another project! they stack flat when they are empty (empty, yeah...that's gonna happen....LOL) and have a nifty window in the front through which my quilts can call to me ...hey, you have a minute or two, give me a few stitches, won't you???....

so far these 4 boxes contain my grandmother's turtle quilt (still trying to envision the right way to border it out), my puzzle quilt pieces, jasmine paper pieces, and my Biblical quilt block of the month blocks and pieces waiting to be pieced.
finding these guys was the Father's way of blessing me today. it was a really rough day yesterday for me and i was really clinging to the hem of His robes. after a long and emotionally stressful day i found out about my test results. the good news is that i did get a clean blood work report from the doc, the bad news is that my ultrasound showed some wonky spots on my thyroid, which the doc is calling the possible beginning of a goiter. well, i am not calling it that! she wants to see me in another 3 months and "discuss putting you on thyroid medication". UH NO I DON'T THINK SO! you are talking to the world's largest anti-medication gal, largely due to the fact that my body reacts normally to nothing, making medication a guessing game i don't like to play.
don't get me wrong here, i did thank God that there was nothing major already there, and i did recognize that it was a good thing, but it didn't come back completely clean so i did have a little pity party for myself, asking the Lord, "you mean that this is something else i hafta stand in faith for? why couldn't it just be clean and this be the end of it!?" don't worry, i didn't stay there long, not my nature. instead, the Lord reminded me of all of my blessings, and that these situations help develop my faith and my trust in Him.
so.....i am praying and believing. but that isn't all because i know that we must put action with our faith, so i am also going back on my weight watchers (4 days now inside my 21 points and down 2 pounds, thankyousoverymuch), and as soon as the gym reopens i will be there 3 days a week!
keep me accountable gals, pester me, ask me, make me tell you!
i know that if walk into that office missing about 10 pounds, she will not push the meds and i will feel much better!
well, God is good! He is on the throne. and He is victorious over all the situations in my life!
i promise that i will post more details about the quilt show later this weekend! thanks for the patience as i have been dealing with blogger issues.

No comments: