Sunday, March 02, 2008

gifts for baby

i love making baby quilts.

there is something about the fabric, the softness, the color scheme, the patterns, that is so calming and soothing and makes me feel like a kid again! i also love to think about the new little one on the way, bringing so much joy to his or her parent's hearts, the adventure that new little one brings, it is just all so happy!

this weekend i had the pleasure of attending a baby shower for a very dear friend who is having her first child in about 10 weeks. she did not find out the gender of the baby, she has so much more patience than i do!.... so when planning the quilt i decided to focus on yellows, purples, and blues. while i would have preferred the more gender-neutral green to the purple, the quilt shop didn't have the greens that i wanted, and mommy-to-be adores purple, so i think it will be perfect!

i really like the way this came out. the pattern is my own, inspired by a quilt i saw in a Fons and Porter Quick Quilts magazine. i found the lamb panels and added the purple borders to square out the blocks (hint, panel blocks are often not square!), then cut the yellow lamb co-ordinating print to the same size as the finished bordered panel blocks. i then added a 3"square to each corner, stitched across and trimmed to create the snowball blocks.
i love the lambs in the prints, this one in particular. he looks like he is praising God, and he is so very happy! too cute!

of course, it is backed with some yummy flannel.i quilted around the blocks in the ditch, adding some free motion heart clusters in the open spaces and at the corners. overall it was a very quick quilt to create.

ok, so i couldn't stop with just the quilt. maybe it was my own growing belly, or maybe it was just the practical side of me that couldn't simply throw this quilt in a $2 gift bag, only to have the bag tossed out later. for one, i hate purchasing things that will end up in the possession of the nearest landfill, and second, i want every part of my gift to be practical and useful to the mommy and baby. in the past i have used leftover fabric to create a diaper bag. unfortunately, the pattern i wanted was sold out of both local quilt shops! i wandered the second shop, completely bummed that i may have to resort to the quickie gift bag when, behold, my eyes fell upon a picture on the back of a book on the closest book spinner.

it was the Winsome Baby book by Nancy Halvorsen. the book is full of quick, easy, and inexpensive gifts to make for a new baby, including changing pads, diaper bags, diaper and wipe holders, etc., all with her trademark adorable customizable stitchery. well there, on the back cover she shares pictures of her "Sweet Baby Organizer Gift Totes". Perfect! i had one sheep panel left from my quilt, and it was the perfect size for the front of the box. the box only took me about 1 hour (i completed it while watching last week's the biggest loser episode), and i had my perfect packaging for my gift....

the problem with making such a lovely box was that once i placed the quilt inside it still looked a little empty! well, i did have some quilt scraps left over, and then i just happened to find some yummy textured minky fabric on sale in a soft sage green. when paired together, voila! i had some super soft co-ordinating burp cloths.

add a little tissue paper, a big yellow sheer ribbon, and my gift was complete! practical and pretty!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Mandy,

Oh, what a BEAUTIFUL QUILT!!! I just LOVE the gifts you made this baby!!!! You are a very talented gal!!! :o)

Have you found out what you are having yet?? Also, I can't wait to hear what theme you are doing YOUR babies room in!! I'm SURE it will be BEAUTIFUL!!!! Do you make your own bumper pads, etc??

Have a GREAT week!!

Blessings,
Janet

Anonymous said...

Hello Again Mrs. Mandy,

I thought of you this week at my preschool. We were learning the letter Qq. We made cute little Qq quilt books that read:
A quilt is made of fabric.
A quilt is made with thread.
A quilt is made with stuffing.
Aquilt is made with LOVE.

We put a square of material for page 1, Some pieces of thread for page 2, some stuffing for page 3, and a big foam heart for page 4. Then we talked about all the love that a person puts in that special quilt they make for someone. It turned out really cute!! So I was thinking of you and how you LOVE to make quilts. :o)

After I posted my last comment ...it occurred to me that you may know what you are having and PERHAPS do not want to share it with the whole world. So PLEASE forgive me if you thought I was prying!!! I was not intending to pry!! I 'm just excited for you and your hubby!! (and DD too!)

Well, have a GREAT week!!

Blessings,
Janet

FosterMom said...

What an absolutely amazing gift! If I was the recipient, I would be beyond thrilled! Great job! I have several friends having babies this year, and maybe I can dig out my sewing machine to make a couple of these boxes.